Sunday, September 15, 2013

Temporary Friend

Living without friends is like living in darkness. God gave us a friend to lean on when we have a problem, to celebrate with our success and to share our secrets.

Have you experienced having a friend who promises to be your friend forever then just left you in the end?

God made everyday between us like an ordinary schoolmates, but when the writing workshop starts in our school, we became closer because we have the same category to compete. Until then, we could see each other almost everyday but still, no words to hear from us. At last I found strength to overcome shyness, I talked to him and asked him why’s and what’s.

It’s exactly October 9, 2012, our friendship started. He asked me if I could be his friend. He told me that nothing can break our friendship. At that time, I could feel the happiness from my heart. Though we are not talking in school because we are not batchmate, we keep our communication open by our cellphone. He got my number while we were in Anao High School. Since that day, we became friends. He is always helping me with my assignments and let me borrow some of his things like his Periodic Table of Elements. As a remembrance, he gave me his boler and once we see each other, we smiled and those smile meant we’re happy with our friendship.



A tragic joke broke our friendship. A joke that was normal to me but not for him. I thought that I knew but I was wrong. I thought that he could ride on to it, but he took it seriously and say bad words to me. Our friendship ended just because of that worthless joke. Since then, I always thought about him if I could see him in our school. It’s like we don’t know each other at all. He graduated without talking to me anymore. I greeted him congratulations but I don’t hear any response from him. I even watched the whole graduation hoping for a simple smile from him but he only said that we will never be friends anymore.

Yes, I do admit it was my fault why our friendship ended too soon. But does a simple joke a valid reason to end up a good friendship? I thought God gave us a friend to stay with us forever in all our journeys whether what problem we encounter. I never thought that there is temporary friendship. It really hurts to experience having a friend just for a short time. When he walked out of my life and when he’s gone, a special person came into my life and helped me forgot about him. But unexpectedly he came back begging for pardon. Without doubt and second thought, I accepted his apology and he promised that we will not only be friends, instead best friends forever. And for now, I can say that he’d not only my temporary friend but forever best friend. ‘Friends are like balloons, once you let go you could never have them back.”

Words: M. C. Trazo

No comments:

Post a Comment